Tuesday, April 10, 2012

That Little Voice Inside Your Head

"Bluetooth or Bonkers" is an urban street game I invented a few summers ago. It's easy to play alone or with friends. You just spy someone standing or sitting alone and talking in the distance. You then try to guess whether the person is speaking to someone on their cellphone via a headpiece or conversing with the voices inside their head. The best thing about this game is how many times I've reached a fairly "normal looking" pedestrian and been surprised to discover he or she is not sporting a headset.

The little voice inside your head isn't just for wackos anymore! We all have some internal dialogue swimming about our brains for most of the day. Personally, I'm usually engaged in some trivial decision-making process like whether to have coffee out or save a couple bucks and brew my own at home or wondering which socks to wear.

Sadly, the internal monologue can often be abusive or negative in other ways. "You could stand to loose a few EL-BEEs" is something I hear from myself a lot, even though I've weighed less than 125 lbs for most of my adult life. "You're not that smart" is another buzz phrase that pops up every now and then, despite the fact that I am actually a genius! These thoughts give me the hee-bee-gee-bees. They not only make me feel awful but they feel wrong. Not to get all Abraham Hicks on you, but my theory is it's because these negative thoughts are out of alignment with my truth, the truth that I am perfect-- perfectly me-- just the way I am.

The kind of internal dialogue that feels good is your truth and it's delivered to you via your intuition. Merriam-Webster defines intuition as "the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference." I've heard intuition described as wisdom given to us by our ancestors, which I think is pretty sweet too. These are the voices inside our heads that can guide us to happiness and well-being.

Have you ever had a sudden thought that made you smile or even laugh out loud, even though you were just putting groceries away or engaged in another equally mundane task? Have you ever looked in the mirror in the morning and thought "You are so cute!" and really felt it down to your bones, although you hadn't even yet touched your hair or showered. That's your intuition nudging you toward having fun and acknowledging your natural beauty!

I recently attended a workshop called Modern Femme~Sensual Prosperity in the hopes of working out a game plan to get physically healthier and to reach my writing goals. Life and wellness coach Tazima Ayana Davis introduced me to the seven chakras. She then led me through an exercise to summon each of them and ask every individual chakra for guidance on how to attend to it's needs and thus bring prosperity to my life. Her theory is we all already know how to heal ourselves and how to live our best lives. That information is inside of us.We just need to work to remember it.

The result of the exercise was thrilling. I've been feeling really picky about foods and bored in general with most of the things I eat lately. I discovered that my sacral chakra, an orange named Bobbi, wants to eat more yummy foods. This was not surprising, especially since the sacral chakra is all about pleasure. I was, however, surprised by her suggestion to select foods based on what attracts me, rather than following my shopping list or cooking from a recipe. I was afraid this would cause a serious riff in my family as my boyfriend does most of the cooking and requires a recipe. Also, I love lists and can't imagine shopping without one. *Chaos!* Still, I tried it a few times when eating out and those times I enjoyed tremendously all the foods I ate. I'm pretty sure I ended up eating healthier as a result too. Hurray for chakras!

Bobbi told me to eat the Si Se Puede salad at Angelica Kitchen for lunch.
Being open to receive and follow divine guidance is a big part of living as a goddess. I'd like to invite you to listen to intuition this week. Even if you don't know about chakras, you can still do this. Keep your ears and heart open to thoughts and ideas that feel right. Feed those thoughts. Ask them what else you can do to bring yourself more fulfillment and pleasure. That's not bonkers. That's so goddess!

Here is a prayer Mishel shared with us during La Dea Vita :: Goddess Gathering, to get you started:
"May I heal my spiritual body. I ask for my eyes, ears, and heart to be open to receive healing and guidance. May I learn to listen to my intuition, my higher self, which always knows exactly what I need to do to move closer to my true self."
Has a little voice inside your head ever led to you to make any wonderfully pleasurable choices, large or small? Please share your experiences in the comments! 

This blog post is part of a series called, That's So Goddess, which I am contributing to La Dea Vita, "a silk-road of Goddess inter-exchange of love, support, sisterhood, ideas, products, art, lifework & passion" founded by Mishel Herrera, Entrepreneur Empress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for adding your voice to the conversation! Blogging can be a little lonely sometimes so your message means a lot to me. I moderate comments to reduce spam, but I'll be sure to post non-spammy comments ASAP. *Huggles!*