Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Community: The Best Thing About Being a Goddess.

Yesterday, I interviewed my La Dea Vita Goddess Gathering sisters to ask them what is their favorite thing about being a goddess. Almost everyone answered "community." I wasn't surprised. Having a group of girlfriends I can trust to listen, to encourage, and to literally be there for me at least once a week is huge. Their support has given me the courage to do all kinds of things I've been slacking on, especially in the self-care and creative areas of my life.



Me, interviewing Goddess Karli
The goddesses in La Dea Vita were fierce when our group first met a month ago, but we are fire now! Three goddesses are building an exciting business together. Another goddess is balancing being both pregnant and managing her bustling botanical solutions business which exploded as an internet sensation a few weeks ago. Another goddess has an exciting and thought-provoking burlesque show opening next weekend. One goddess got fired from her toxic day job, now her photography career is blowing up. I'm pursuing my dream of becoming a writer. So much awesomeness!

All this magic is happening because we've chosen to support one another as a community. We've made it a priority to commit three hours of the week to put our intentions in the improvement of our own lives and those of our girlfriends. I'm not claiming the amazing women in my group would not have been able to accomplish these things independently, but I am saying it's more fun and magical this way. And why not do things the fun and magical way?

I've been sharing a list of things I am grateful for each day with the group on our Facebook page and each day at least two women click "like." It's been so pleasurable for me know that not only is someone reading my list, but that my girlfriends are sharing my happiness. I can feel the energy of their happiness commanding even more things to be grateful for to come my way and I feel my heart opening up to accept it.

I tell this story to illustrate that creating community doesn't have to be a huge time or resource demanding thing. It's just requires the commitment to be fully yourself, to share your gifts and happiness, and to literally show up as a voice of encouragement and cheer for others. That's so goddess!

What do you do to create community with your girlfriends? How has (or how hasn't) being part of a goddess circle or other women's-only community, formal or informal, improved your life or the life of your friends? Pretty please, leave a comment! <3

This blog post is the first of a series called, That's So Goddess, which I am contributing to La Dea Vita, "a silk-road of Goddess inter-exchange of love, support, sisterhood, ideas, products, art, lifework & passion" organized by revolutionary women's athletic wear designer, Mishel Herrera.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for adding your voice to the conversation! Blogging can be a little lonely sometimes so your message means a lot to me. I moderate comments to reduce spam, but I'll be sure to post non-spammy comments ASAP. *Huggles!*