Monday, August 23, 2010

Today, as best I can remember it.

Today was your typical lazy couple's Sunday. Richard and I slept in until nearly 11. We skipped showers and headed out for a light brunch at Milk Bar. I got the avocado toast. It was simple and delicious-- a thick slice of hearty multigrain bread covered with the perfectly ripe meat of an entire hass avocado and dusted with chili powder. I also had a fantastically refreshing glass of freshly squeezed oj. I am always surprised by how little fresh oj tastes like the gross stuff sold in cartons. It's almost hard to imagine both were extracted from the same plant.

After brunch, we headed over to Duane Reade, where we picked up snacks for the half-price matinee screening of The Kids are All Right at BAM. Before the movie, we stopped into the Brooklyn Flea. I love the flea because its positively inspiring to see smaller local businesses and individuals selling their art, junk, food, and more directly to the people. And all this just a few steps from a mega mall  featuring Target, the soul- and local economy-draining ubermart.

At the flea, I bought a hunk of soap from the bargain bin at Australian Scent for $1.50/oz , $.50 cheaper than the packaged soap and just as deliciously herbal smelling and moisturizing. I don't even need soap but the salesperson was so genuinely delightful and friendly, as was the company's owner when I met her at the flea months ago, I couldn't resist indulging the both of us. Besides, it's nice to have another bar of soap around for when I tire of the oatmeal scented bar of Sappo that I use everyday.

Two other vendors worth mentioning are Charlie and Sarah and Ghost Pepper. Charlie and Sarah is a Brooklyn-based company that makes hipster British themed clothing for children. Don't really care about that, but what did interest me were these great color prints of quirky, creepy drawings, many illustrating characters from fairy tales. I loved them, but the salesperson was so pushy: looming over me and reminding me of how they aren't online and wouldn't be at the flea after next week. All this while I quietly tried to decide which one of the several dozen I liked the best. It was a mood killer. As much as I liked the art, I couldn't stand to shop under such high pressure. The Ghost Pepper stand was hot, literally. The Ghost Pepper is the World's Hottest Pepper and the stand sold not only hot dried peppers in cool packaging, but Spicy Hard Watermelon Candy. The sweets, which are handmade in Brooklyn, had many sumultaneous flavors- sweet, sour, and spicy. It was an oral adventure! I only wish it wasn't $5 for a tiny bag. Oh well, I wish them luck.

The Kids Are All Right was every bit as awesome as everyone says it is. It had really strong characters who were performed excellently and the plot managed to both surprise me and make sense. I loved it and so did Richard.

After the movie, we went to Moe's and drank a couple pints of Kelso pilsner while watching the rain. We left and made out on the street before attempting to do some drunk shopping at Green Light. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the book I wanted on my own, so I had to ask the staff for help. I described the book as "photo portraits of people from around the world" and as being featured in the store the past winter. I think it was pretty clear I was drunk, but I tried to not make a total fool of myself. Sadly, they didn't have the book. (I just found it on Amazon using those same search words in like seconds. It's called 6 Billion Others: Portraits of Humanity from Around the World. I think it'd be a helpful reference for portrait drawing, so I'll order it from the store now that I know what it is.) So, we left empty-handed to Hot Bird, where we ate lunch from their food truck. There's something kinda silly about a food truck that is always parked in the yard of a bar. Is it still street food and therefor cool or are they just so obviously, and offensively, banking on a hipster trend? Either way my veggie bratwurst was awesome, so I won't hate.

Back at home, we had an even awesomer evening: A little bit of-- okay, a lot of-- afternoon delight. A homemade dinner of pesto pasta with local veggies, paired with local wine from the farmer's market.  A marathon of 30 Rock on the couch.

I love Sundays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for adding your voice to the conversation! Blogging can be a little lonely sometimes so your message means a lot to me. I moderate comments to reduce spam, but I'll be sure to post non-spammy comments ASAP. *Huggles!*