Saturday, January 5, 2008

NYE: Gearing up for 2008

New Year's Eve
Anyhow...I don't work today since it's Monday. Instead, I wake up at 11am and wait for Jessica to get off of work and join me for lunch at Curly's. I'm nearly 20 minutes late because I decide to eat a bowl of soup and some bread before leaving home. On the way there, I beat myself up for starting the new year this way--late, again. Then I remember it's still 2007. Phew!

After a delicious lunch, Jessica and I spend an ridiculous amount of time--over an hour--picking out her new cell phone and an emergency phone for her aunt. The options are limitless, confusing, and, ultimately, meaningless. It's just a phone, for chrissake. Still, when you're surrounded by a few dozen of them, yet have to make a long-term commitment to just one, the entire thing is overwhelming.

Jessica and I part ways after the phone fiasco. Needing to poop and buy baking supplies, I head to Whole Foods. The women's bathroom line is obscene. I fantasize about using the men's room the entire 15 minutes that I wait to use one of the two stalls in the room designated to my gender. It's finally my turn, but I can't poop knowing there are a dozen women on the other side of the plywood door listening to me and silently commanding me to hustle. It's not fair! Defeated, I pee instead and head downstairs to buy overpriced organic groceries. I actually score some really awesome orange extract for $3--not a bad deal.

Though it's technically still 2007, mentally I'm already in 2008. 2007 sucked and I have no problem saying goodbye to it. Though I'm an awesome person in general (beautiful, friendly, funny, caring, multi-talented, modest), in 2007, I was ruled by the not-so-great parts of my personality: flakiness, t.v. addiction, reclusiveness, and a self-loathing that prevented me from doing many of the things I enjoy.

In an effort to turn over a new leaf, I compose the following list, titled "2008 Goals", because calling them "resolutions" just seems like an invitation to failure:
  1. Read more.
  2. Write more.
  3. Draw more.
  4. Procrastinate less.
  5. Think less. Do more.
  6. Drink more water.
  7. Eat more meals at home.
  8. Learn another language.
  9. Visit 3 new places.
  10. Watch less television.
  11. Learn to shoot a gun.
I'm pretty confident that at least half of these goals will be accomplished, especially since I carefully avoided quantifying what the terms "more" and "less" mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for adding your voice to the conversation! Blogging can be a little lonely sometimes so your message means a lot to me. I moderate comments to reduce spam, but I'll be sure to post non-spammy comments ASAP. *Huggles!*